High Prairie's real development began as a result of the railroad being built through High Prairie and toward Winagami Lake. In 1945 High Prairie became formally recognized as a village and by 1950 there was a motion carried that it apply for Town status.
Through the years, the infrastructure in High Prairie has continued to expand. The installation of modern services began in 1953 with the construction of a domestic piped water system. In June 1958, the arena, which is still a major recreation facility, was completed. Since then other recreation facilities have been added, such as a curling rink with artificial ice, a second ice surface, an indoor swimming pool, tennis courts, baseball diamonds, and walking trails throughout High Prairie's parks.
By the 1960's the streets of High Prairie began to be paved and by the 1980's a new reservoir and settling tank provided good clear drinking water.
High Prairie is a thriving community with all the modern amenities available to its citizens. With the base that has already been established, it is expected that High Prairie will continue to grow and prosper for a long time to come.