Main content of the website

Frequently Asked Questions
  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

When are Council Meetings?

Council meetings are held at the Town office in Council Chambers on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month at 6:00 pm, unless otherwise stated which will be advertised.

Can any member of the community speak to Council?

Yes, Regular Meetings of Council will always consist of Scheduled and Public Delegation. Any members of Public can speak when called at the meeting.

To become a scheduled delegation, please fill out the Delegation Application form and submit it to the Legislative Clerk.

For more information contact the Legislative Clerk.

Who Does the Town of High Prairie’s recycling?

GFL Environmental 780-849-3334

When is residential Garbage pickup?

Garbage pickup for everyone is every Monday (including holidays).

Garbage bins must be out at the curb by 7:00 am and the lids must be closed

If you have extra bags of garbage, you can purchase bag tags for $5.00 a piece at the Town Office.

Any Questions please contact the Town of Office 780-523-3388.

Land Fills

High Prairie & District Regional Landfill

Phone: 780-523-5760

Hours: Monday, Thursday and Saturday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm

Gilwood Transfer Station:

Hours: Wednesday and Sunday 10:00 am to 7:00 pm

Does the Town Participate in Pitch-in week?

No.  Now that the Town has partnered with Big Lakes County on the Gilwood Transfer site, the Town will no longer be doing Pitch-In Week.

How many facilities does the Town of High Prairie own?

High Prairie and District Municipal Library
Two ice surfaces
High Prairie and District Museum
Swimming pool
Curling ice surface
4 municipal parks
High Prairie and District Golf Course

When will my street have the snow removed?

The Public Works staff works hard to accommodate the Town of High Prairie Residents, Town of High Prairie Council has approved a Policy that covers snow removal. 

Please see Policy number 02-2018

Do you spray insecticide to control the caterpillars?

No, the Town of High Prairie will not spray insecticides to spray the caterpillars.

Does the Town of High Prairie Public Works trim trees or remove trees on private property?

There are various contractors within the region that provide tree removal/trimming services.

Yes, as a last resort, the Town of High Prairie will do its best to provide for the residents of the Town of High Prairie with the tree trimming service for a fee and subject to the availability of the Public Works Department

Please stop into the Town office at 4806-53rd Ave and ask to fill out a work order the Town of High Prairie Public Works staff will do their best to expedite your request.

I am having problems with my sewer draining will the Town of High Prairie fix that?

If any problems occur with your sewage drainage, please call the on-call phone at 780-523-7620

If the Town Employee deems the problem is located within your property, the property owner will be required to contact a plumber to rectify the problem

If I receive a municipal ticket for speeding do I get demerits against my driver’s license?

No you will not have any demerits against your driver’s license.

Where do I pay for my municipal ticket?

You can pay for your municipal ticket only at the Town Office at 4806-53rd Ave.  The Court House will not accept payment for your municipal ticket.

When are School Zone times in effect?

Monday – Friday 
8:00 am to 4:30 pm

When are playground zones in effect?

Dusk until dawn every day of the week.

Is there a Town curfew?

Yes the Town of High Prairie has a Bylaw to regulate the time after which children shall not be in a public place at night without proper guardianship please see Bylaw #03-2012.

Can my dog be off leash?

No, the Town of High Prairie will not allow any dog to be off leash. 

Please see Bylaw 04-2018 to learn about Controlling Domestic Animals in the Corporate Limits of the Town of High Prairie.

Do I have to cut the grass or control the weeds adjacent to my property beside and in the back alley?

Yes the residents of High Prairie are responsible for cutting the grass and weed control adjacent to the property whether it is beside or behind the property.

Please see  Bylaw 06-2019 to learn about controlling and reducing nuisances, unsightly premises and dangerous conditions within the Town of High Prairie.

Who is responsible for stray cats in the Town of High Prairie?

The Town of High Prairie encourages the pet owners to keep their animals within their property lines, however this may not always be the case. In the event that your cat has become stray the Town of High Prairie is not responsible and will not catch or hold any stray cats.

The Town of High Prairie will supply Live Cat Traps for refundable fees of $50.00 please stop into the Town of High Prairie office for more Live Cat Trap information.

When will I receive my Tax bill?

The Town of High Prairie will have the Tax Notices out to the Residents by May 30th of each calendar year.

Why is my utility bill so high?

Your utility bill will vary from month this can be due to the price of gas, cooler weather will cause a higher consumption of gas, also make sure that your meter is accessible to the Town of High Prairie Public Works staff for appropriate readings and just in case of emergencies.

Can I call and ask for property owners name and information?

Due to FOIP the Town of High Prairie cannot give out personal information regarding property, utilities, or taxes unless asked for by the property owner with proof of identification.

When is my utility bill due for payment?

Your utility bill is due for payment on the last business day of the month. If your utility bill falls into arrears you will be served with a disconnection notice.

Do I need a permit to build a fence?

No, but your fence can only be 3ft in your front yard and no taller than 6 ft in your backyard.   For more information, please see our Land Use Bylaw or call the Town Office to speak to the Development Clerk. 

Before starting your fence, please call Alberta One Call at 1-800-242-3447

Do I need a permit to build a deck?

If your proposed deck is under 106 sq, ft and less than 2 ft off of the ground a permit is not required. If your deck is over 106 sq. ft. but higher than 2 feet off the ground a development permit and building permit will be required.   Please be advised that a side yard set back of 3.3 feet or should be adhered as per the Town of High Prairie's Land Use Bylaw.    Please call Alberta One Call to find out if any electrical, gas, cable or phone lines are located in the proposed site 1-800-242-3447.  If your proposed deck is larger than explained previously please call the development clerk at 780-523-3388 for more information.

Do I need a permit to build a shed?

If your proposed shed is under 106 sq. ft. in size a permit is not required.  Please be advised that a side yard set back of 5 feet or 1.5 meters should be adhered as per the Town of High Prairie's Land Use Bylaw.  Please call Alberta One Call to find out if any electrical, gas, cable or phone lines are located in the proposed site 1-800-242-3447.  If you have further questions please call the development clerk at 780-523-3388.

Do you want to construct a building? Renovate or expand a building? Start a business?

If so, you MUST conform to the standards in the Land Use Bylaw

The Land Use Bylaw is a way to ensure that all growth in HIGH PRAIRIE is done to a consistent standard of development and applied equally to everyone.

Orderly development rules are designed to prevent land use conflicts and provide landowners, developers and you, the public with some certainty about where and how something can be developed. It is the law, and the bylaw tries to be fair. There are provisions in the bylaw to bend the rules, if any affected person feels they were unfairly treated.

The bylaw works best and with least delay when there is cooperation between the applicant and those bodies responsible for approving development applications.

Is there a difference between a Building permit and a Development permit?

Yes. The two permits deal with two different sets of rules. A building permit confirms that you have agreed to meet the requirements of the Alberta Building Code. This covers internal construction standards like wiring, plumbing, framing and other concerns dealing with the structure and materials used to build the structure.

A development permit confirms that you have agreed to meet the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw. This covers things such as the location of a building, land use on a lot, minimum dimensions of the lot, and its proposed land use, landscaping, parking and other concerns dealing with how that land use should fit in with the community.

Who can I contact to explain the details of the land use bylaw?

Contact the Town Office at 523-3388. The Development Officer or designate will help you understand the steps involved in approving a development permit application.

The development officer is responsible for processing your application and ensuring that you have provided all the information required to make an informed decision.

When is the best time to talk to the development officer if I want to build something or start a business?

It is always a good idea to consult the development officer as the first step if you are planning a development or change in land use. This can save you wasted time and money because the land use bylaw is very specific in its requirements.

Who decides whether I can develop or not?

Depending on the land use you propose, the development officer decides on some applications, others are decided by the Municipal Planning Commission (M.P.C.). This Commission is made up of a combination of citizens and Town councilors. The land use bylaw specifies who will make the decision and when a meeting will be called to consider your development permit application.

How long does it take to get my development permit approved?

A development authority should make a decision within 21 days. If you provide all the information requested by the development authority at the time of application, the timing process can be shortened significantly.

What if I disagree with the decision of the development officer or Municipal Planning Commission?

You can appeal the Town's decision within 14 days to the Sub-division & Development Appeal Board.

I received a violation ticket, what do I do now? 

 Follow the instructions on the front of the ticket, if you have further questions contact the Town Office at 780-523-3388.